Monday, February 9, 2009

Google weakening?!?

Google just announced they are licensing Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync for use with their own online sync tools.  I am mildly disappointed in this news, since I have avoided using Microsoft Outlook since the late nineties, only using it as a stopgap until NuevaSync was founded and I could sync my google calendar with the iPhone/iPod Touch through wi-fi.  I hate Microsoft's virtual monopoly of email software since it makes virii much more 'viral' and infective (for lack of a better adj.), not to mention it sucks...  Hopefully this is a temporary measure until more people switch over to Google's online services.
Although it may seem that Google has a monopoly (at least over search engine advertising), they continue to act as though they're a small to medium-sized fish in a giant ocean.  I know it cannot last forever (every big company eventually sells out), but it seems it will hold out as long as the founders remain CEO's.  [They inevitably move to the dark side once they hire a career businessman as a CEO...]

No comments: